[Air-L] the growth of some groups and not others (Murray Turoff)

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Thu Jan 1 15:16:17 PST 2009

Murray Turoff wrote:

> The standard design philosophy currently being used in many social network
> systems is to encourage the user to sign into the site and duplicate
> functions like exchanging messages in different formats.

The duplication goes beyond message formats and exchange -- one may have
different image or video collections, identities/profiles, reputations
(formal and informal), etc. in each system. Perhaps we will see
standards that let us abstract this sort of thing and associate it with
a user independent of the system being used.

 > The addition of
> groups that social networks finally recognized (they existed in some systems
> in the 70's) as a key valuable addition to communication systems will spread
> and be better integrated in message services.

I used EIES in the 1970s -- a group of around a dozen people conducted a
"Teleconference on Teleconferencing" over a period of several months,
but, as I recall, EIES was a "walled garden."  In what ways did it
interoperate with other BBS or messaging systems?  (There weren't many
things to interoperate with in those days :-).

Larry Press