[Air-L] Undergrad panel for IR 10.0

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Sun Jan 18 12:40:18 PST 2009

In an earlier posting here I announced that I would attempt to organize
an undergraduate panel for IR 10.0 in Milwaukee. I've received a few
papers, and would still have room for two or three more. I NEED THEM
THIS WEEK!

This is *NOT* a paper competition (see the Couch Award call at
www.cccsir.org if you’re interested in that), and I don’t have time to
read and "judge" hundreds of undergraduate papers. But as you graded
papers at the end of fall semester, if you came across an
undergraduate’s paper that...

1. Is truly an EXCEPTIONAL paper dealing with QUALITY internet research
  (you be the judge), and
2. It is likely that your institution would fund the student next fall
to get to Milwaukee to present it, and
3. The student is a traditional, 18 to 20-something undergrad -- OR, if
a non-traditional student, an undergrad who might be in a position to go
on to grad school with this sort of encouragement...

...then talk to the student about it, and if s/he is willing, send me
their paper electronically. CLEARLY mark the message as an UNDERGRAD
PANEL SUBMISSION.

NO GUARANTEES! The panel will be submitted to be considered and accepted
(or not) through the regular IR 10.0 vetting process.

If there are really, really OUTSTANDING undergrad papers in that stack
that you are grading, see if the student is interested and if your
school will pick up the tab to send them if accepted. If so, send the
paper to me and we'll see what happens.

I WILL NEED TO HAVE THE FULL PAPERS THIS WEEK, no later than Jan. 25, to
put the panel together and meet the IR 10.0 submission deadline.
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of the