[Air-L] Thoughts on IRB and identity of researcher.

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 18 04:37:39 PDT 2010

I am no longer a student and I wonder how to identify myself in a  
research paper. Like "the student" of the student T test/distribution  
who worked for Guinness brewery I also can not use my employer for  
identity in my own research. If I do Internet studies at work it has  
to be prescribed by my bosses. The research i am thinking about is of  
a non profit I am a director of Computers for Communities.

I also wonder if there is a generic IRB I can use or how an  
independent scholar handles such things. I am just one term past  
school studies may be my former school can help me. This has probably  
been answered here as I know there have been many discussions on this  
topic. I ask anyways. I think may be my school or employer could offer  
to do this process in an informal way.

Also I may interview participants in a community computer lab set up  
which may include residents of a housing project where we set up a  
computer lab. I am guessing a well thought out "permission to be used  
in research" form would be fine and does not need to the same degree  
of "care" that a medical experiment needs considering the risk of  
harm . I use care here in a medical sense not the care in making the  
permissions form.

Any thoughts or offers to coauthor, welcome

I am in Ottawa Canada.

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.
kiitos paljon,  merci,  thank you and muchas gracias for reading.

More information about the Air-L mailing list