[Air-L] political web sites

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Wed Feb 3 18:49:15 PST 2010

 Hi Anna,

There are a number of great studies on this topic, and yes it's worth studying!

Here are some additional suggestions to add to the others offered so far:

*Kirsten Foot & Steve Schneider's book Web Campaigning.

*The edited collection titled The Internet Election: Perspectives on the Web in campaign 2004 by Andrew Williams and John Tedesco

*Robert Denton edits a series of books (The XXXX presidential election: A communication perspective) that have looked at campaign 2000, campaign 2004, and campaign 2008. Each edited book has at least 1 chapter on the presidential campaign websites.

I think some of the work by Barbara Warnick might be of interest to you. See:

*Endres, D., & Warnick, B. (2004). "Text-based Interactivity in Candidate Campaign Web Sites: A Case Study from the 2002 Elections." Western Journal of Communication, 68 (3), 322-342

*Warnick, B. (1998). "Appearance or reality?: Political Parody on the Web in Campaign '96." Critical Studies in Mass Communication, 15,  306-324

I have also written a little bit on the topic. See:

*Stromer-Galley, J. (2000). On-line interaction and why candidates avoid it. Journal of Communication, 5(4), 111-132.

Good luck,
~Jenny

Associate Professor
Department of Communication