[Air-L] Permission to reproduce webpages?

Philippa Smith philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
Wed Sep 1 14:51:21 PDT 2010

Just as an aside and to throw a spanner in the works -  I've had a
situation where we wanted to use a screenshot from an online newspaper
but because the source of the article was  Associated Press we had to
get their permission as well to reproduce the text.  This came at a
financial cost.  It's worth noting whether websites contain material
from other sources that might also need permission.  Unfortunately this
is a can of worms scenario.

Kind regards

Philippa

Philippa Smith
PhD Candidate
Institute of Culture, Discourse & Communication
AUT University
Auckland
NEW ZEALAND

>>> André Brock<andre.brock at gmail.com> 09/02/10 9:41 AM >>>
Thanks to everyone who's answered me so far (Hi, Annette!).  The legal
advice was particularly helpful, and i'm going to follow Ulf-Dietrich's
advice and contact the websites - i have contacts at a couple of them.

Does AoIR have a specific statement on fair use of Internet/ICT
materials
for research in the field?  I know we have an extensive set of materials
on
Ethics... (and no, i'm not volunteering to write it.  i'm just asking)

André

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Andre Brock <andre.brock at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For the first time in, well, ever I've been asked by a journal to
obtain
> permission from a website to reproduce a screenshot of a webpage.
Not, to
> be clear, of an image on the page - but of the page itself.   I've
been
> offered the option of removing the image and replacing it with a URL,
but
> from an archival standpoint that's problematic.  Webpages with dynamic
> content change all the time, not to mention that authors sometimes
change
> formats/platforms, modify pages, or remove content that was included
in the
> original analysis.
>
> I don't want to miss the publishing deadline, but I need to know:
"where

--
Andre Brock
Assistant Professor - Library and Information Science/POROI