[Air-L] Permission to reproduce webpages?

Gilbert B. Rodman gbrodman at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 1 16:33:09 PDT 2010

  Two quick comments here, both AGAINST the notion that André
necessarily has to ask for permission to use the images in question.

First, "fair use" arguably disappears -- in specific cases, if not as a
whole -- the moment you ask for permission.  At the very least, asking
for permission potentially prevents you from asserting "fair use" later
(which you might still want to do if, for example, your request isn't
answered in a timely fashion), since it demonstrates that you don't
believe your quotation of the material qualifies as "fair use."

Second, "fair use" isn't simply some technical quirk in US copyright law
that allows scholars to get away with what is otherwise morally
questionable activity.  It is arguably one of the basic rights that
enables us -- along with journalists, reviewers, critics, and a vast
range of other cultural commentators -- to do our jobs.  I'm willing to
bet that the publisher André is dealing with is NOT making him secure
permission every time he quotes printed texts.  He undoubtedly needs to
attribute such quotes properly, and there are likely to be restrictions
on how much of a source he can quote ... but "fair use" is what allows
scholars to quote words written by other people (and reviewers to quote
bits of books, songs, plays, movies, etc.) in the ordinary practices of
research, criticism, and commentary without having to formally granted
permission to do so.  Put a different way, "fair use" is one of the
major things that keeps copyright holders from using charges of
"infringement" as a backhanded means of controlling public commentary
about the works in question.

cheers
gil