[Air-L] How does Facebook find friends?

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at uti.at
Fri Sep 24 11:01:39 PDT 2010

one should in this context also remember the political economy of
facebook: it collects information about users from other sources in
order to better target its advertisements and to commodify and
economically exploit the users.
therefore it's privacy policy says for example: "We may institute
programs with advertising partners and other websites in which they
share information with us".

the policy also says: "We use your profile information, the addresses
you import through our contact importers, and other relevant
information, to help you connect with your friends, including making
suggestions to you and other users that you connect with on Facebook".
The formulation "and other relevant information" is so general, it can
be everything, even a database purchased somewhere that contains
personal information.

Which information Facebook exactly holds about a user is intransparent,
nobody knows - except the Facebook Big Brother...

This is not not magic - it's capitalism.

Best, Christian