[Air-L] Looking at job postings: Any advice?

Kathleen Stansberry kpontius at uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 30 13:08:29 PDT 2010

Christine,

I'm also completing a PhD in comm. Studies, so I've been doing some career
research lately. My areas of foci are public relations, health
communications and new media.

Certainly the Chronicle of Higher Ed and Higher Ed Jobs are great sources
for open academic positions, but I've found the job ads on the National
Communication Association (http://www.natcom.org/) and Association for
Education in Journalism and Communication ( http://www.aejmc.com/) websites
are easier to navigate and more applicable to my experience and interests.
You may want to check them out, although they tend to be very US-centric and
I noticed from your email address that you're studying in New Zealand.

Both organizations also host job fairs in conjunction with their annual
national conferences, so if you can make a trip stateside that might be a
good opportunity to network. The NCA conference takes place this November in
San Francisco.

Katie Stansberry
Ph.D. Candidate
School of Journalism and Communication