[Air-L] Citing from a Kindle

Martin at Cleaver.org Martin at Cleaver.org
Wed Jan 5 05:57:55 PST 2011

Perhaps the device or software we use to read documents should:
- count the chapter/paragraph/word offset position in a Standards-compliant
way;
- encode these offsets into a Standard URL-path element that is both
computer and human-readable
- encode the document's name into a permanently referencable URL-path and
domain

I can imagine something like
http://pubs.universityname.ac.uk/lastname.firstname/title/year/chapter-offset/paragraph-offset/word-offset
.

Documents need to carry the citation format URL for that document. The
Kindle needs to be able to generate these URLs based on that format.

The citations need to generated wherever the Kindle shares the text, e.g. in
pages like http://kindle.amazon.com/popular_highlights and on

XPath & XPointer are relevant technical standards. See
http://commons.oreilly.com/wiki/index.php/XPath_and_XPointer and in
particular
http://commons.oreilly.com/wiki/index.php/XPath_and_XPointer/XPointer_Background#Location

I hope that helps,