[Air-L] Subaltern counter publics online?

Leurs, K.H.A. (Koen) K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl
Mon Jan 31 07:37:53 PST 2011

Dear all,

I have recently regained an interest in Nancy Fraser's reworking of
Habermas' notion of the public sphere. Especially her writings on
'subaltern counter publics' where people circulate views that critically
engage with mainstream/dominant public spheres have caught my attention
as they seem to capture nicely the dynamics of certain online discussion
boards that fall below the radar. For instance dedicated discussion
boards set up and frequented by ethnic minorities.

However, I was wondering if anyone on the list uses a similar lens in
her/his work and/or is currently engaged with the work of Fraser or
similar?

Kind regards,

Koen Leurs
www.koenleurs.net