[Air-L] Subaltern counter publics online?

Mukherjee, Ishani imukhe2 at uic.edu
Mon Jan 31 14:02:05 PST 2011

Hi Koen,

For my dissertation, I am currently looking at how ethno-cultural
narratives are created in online communities (spec. blogs that discuss
domestic violence within the South Asian dispora in the US), from the
perspectives of ethnic-community empowerment and identity negotiation.  I
haven't looked at Nancy Fraser's work yet, but I have come across research
that reworks the public/private debate, esp. in the context of creating
minority counter-publics online, often working from within the dominant
discursive spaces.

You can perhaps refer to Rohit Chopra's work, "Global primordialities:
virtual identity politics in online Hindutva and online Dalit discourse,"
which looks at the intersection of technology and culture in  online
representations (community websites) of the elite/dominant Hindu
nationalist community and the subaltern Dalit community (New Media &
Society, 2006, vol. 8/2, pp. 187-206).

You can also try: Mallapragada, M. (2006). Home, Homeland, Homepage:
Belonging and the Indian-American web. New Media and Society, 8(2), pp.
207-227.
She talks about how online interactions/communities of ethnic minorities
often ruptures the public/private, gender-race divide/politics, and
creates not only geo-political, but also rhetorical transgressions and
ambivalence.

I hope these help and prove interesting for your purposes.

Best,

Ishani Mukherjee
Doctoral Candidate
Dept. of Communication, UIC