[Air-L] Need New Methods Text

Ted Coopman ted.coopman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:43:38 PDT 2011

All,

I am looking for a new (one) comprehensive text for an Internet
Research Methods course, current title: Inquiry in Internet
Communication. Here is the catalog description.

"Examines the internet as both a site of and a tool of communication
research. Special attention to legal and ethical concerns associated
with internet communication research."

This is an upper division 4 unit research methods course. I am
currently using Hine's "Virtual Methods: Issues in Social Research on
the Internet" which is fine but the research is a bit dated (ah, the
hell of "everything is dated once it hits the page" for teaching
internet/new media anything) and while I use workshops on specific
research methods (interviewing, surveys, etc.) I am looking for
something more textbook-like with a structured approach. It needs to
include both qualitative and quantitative approaches.

I get them out collecting and coding data for two projects per semester.

Online resources, a convergence approach that includes other media,
and a "tool box" theoretical/epistemological approach are a bonus.

Lately I have noticed a few coming out, but wanted to tap the
collective expertise of the list for some solid recommendations.

Feel free to contact me off list, I will (as always) compile and post).

Thanks,

-TED

--
Ted M. Coopman Ph.D.