[Air-L] PhD dissertation format

Michael Baron webbaron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 17:41:03 PDT 2011

I think they key issue is not so much the format rather than the candidate's
contribution to the body of knowledge. Should the contribution be
substantial, I do not see how a ''creative'' presentation of the research
findings could be a problem :)
cheers,
Michael

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Charlie Balch <charlie at balch.org> wrote:

> I went the even less traditional case-study format -- this format
> frustrated a number of faculty in the department. Getting the format
> accepted in addition to the work was tough. Like Dave, with some adaptation
> my dissertation was later published in book format.  I'm not aware of any
> other dissertation from the department that became a book. I'm pleased that
> I took the harder and more productive path that resulted in a greater
> expansion of our body of knowledge.
>
> That said, your goal is to get out of there.  I've been on a number of
> hiring committees in several fields and I've never looked at any applicant's
> dissertation beyond reading the title in their CV.  Your experience may
> vary.
> Best regards,
> Charlie
>
> Charles V. Balch PhD

Dr. Michael Baron
CEO, Baron Consulting
"My Body is my Temple"
"Be The Change You Want to See In The World." Gandhi