[Air-L] Antw: Re: Inclusion of short links in academic publications?

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Fri Jul 22 08:34:59 PDT 2011

The biggest disadvantage to shortlinks is that they are essentially
unarchivable. When I go to an older journal article that has a URL,
the chances are very good that the URL is dead, and if it isn't dead,
that the content is no longer anything near the original. With the
original URL and a date, I can at least give a shot at the Wayback
Machine. It's unlikely that it's been captured, but far more likely
than if it's via a shortener.

There have been both crowd-sourced and commercial efforts to "back up"
the major shortening services (e.g.,
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=52&articleid=20090823_52_E5_SANFRA703633
), but that seems to be a Herculean/Sisyphean task (i.e., akin to
digging up a lot of manure and trying to roll it up a hill.)

- Alex