[Air-L] CfP: social media and knowledge management

Robert Mason rmmason at uw.edu
Sat Mar 5 13:41:28 PST 2011

Call for submissions
Now that the deadline for IR12 has passed and you've been thinking about research papers (!), consider submitting (and/or serving as a reviewer) for this mini-track at HICSS.  Contact the chairs at any time for feedback on ideas-this is a first time mini-track, so we're interpreting the scope pretty broadly.
HICSS 45<http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/>        January 4-7, 2012:  Grand Wailea, Maui, Hawaii
Mini-track on Knowledge Management and Social Media
Knowledge Management and Social Media:  the Challenge
Papers solicited for this mini-track cover issues, challenges, ideas, and solutions for two aspects of knowledge management (KM) and social media (SM).  On the one hand, SM offers unprecedented opportunities for sharing information and knowledge both among colleagues closely bound by shared interests but also among those representing the "strength of weak ties" (Granovetter, 1973).  On the other hand, SM, because of the ease with which information can be disseminated, threatens organizational control of information and increases the risk of the loss of intellectual property and proprietary knowledge.  For this track, we encourage authors from academia, industry, governments, and non-profits, especially collaborations among these groups to address the tension between both these aspects of KM and SM.  We solicit early stage concepts, case studies, works-in-progress, and collaborative action research among academics, executives, and policy makers that illustrate innovative approaches and solutions.  We especially seek papers that offer conceptual models combined with empirical evidence.
Co-Chairs

Robert M. Mason

The Information School, University of Washington

rmmason at uw.edu<mailto:rmmason at uw.edu>

Dianne P. Ford

Faculty of Business Administration

Memorial University of Newfoundland

dpford at mun.ca<mailto:dpford at mun.ca>

Key Dates:
Abstracts to co-chairs for feedback:  any time
Papers due:     June 15, 2011