[Air-L] Sustaining Scholarly Publishing

Kathleen Fitzpatrick kfitz47 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 08:57:26 PST 2011

Hi, all. Given the discussion about publishing models taking place on the
list, it seems a good moment to announce that MediaCommons is hosting an
open discussion of the Association of American University Presses report,
released on Monday, "Sustaining Scholarly Publishing: New Business Models
for University Presses." This report examines the experiments currently
underway in university press publishing and makes several key
recommendations for the success of future innovation. Central to these
recommendations is a call for greater collaboration and communication in
these publishing processes.

Thanks to the support of Monica McCormick, Program Officer for Digital
Scholarly Publishing at NYU NYU, the AAUP task force has not only graciously
agreed to but enthusiastically supported this discussion.

The report is available at
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/mcpress/sustaining/. I hope you'll
all come by and join in the discussion -- there's an awful lot to dig into
in the report. I also hope you'll spread the word to your own social
networks, to get their participation as well. We've got the opportunity not
just to respond to the AAUP's thoughts about the future, but to do so in a
form that might get them to consider more possibilities for future
innovation -- not to mention a form in we'll be able to engage directly with
them; the report authors will be involved in these discussions.

I'll hope to see you in the comments!

--
Kathleen Fitzpatrick | Professor of Media Studies | Pomona College
Co-editor, MediaCommons | machines.pomona.edu | @kfitz