[Air-L] feedback on cyberleisure idea for forthcoming book

Payal Arora payal_arora04 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 07:56:22 PDT 2011

Hi,

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my idea of viewing social network
sites through the metaphor of "virtual parks" to construct a framework on
cyberleisure. My upcoming book with Routledge (2012) stems from this paper that
I published with The Information Society Journal (if you do not have access to
this journal, I d be happy to provide a pdf to you). Also, if any of you guys
have further ideas and suggestions on drawing parallels between "park" spaces
and its virtual equivalent, I d love to hear them. Of course I'll give formal
credit to those who suggest these ideas. thanks so much! appreciate your time
-Cheers Payal

http://www.indiana.edu/~tisj/27/2/ab-arora.html

Online Social Sites as Virtual Parks: An Investigation into Leisure Online and
Offline

The Information Society: An International Journal Volume 27,  Issue 2,  2011

Abstract
Currently, there is much excitement about Web 2.0 as a novel platform for
experiencing, producing, and consuming leisure, particularly through social
network sites. On the other hand, there are skeptics who sound the alarm on
these spaces, viewing them as diluting of human relations. The perspective that
guides this paper is invested in neither a utopian or dystopian posture but sees
historical continuity, pointing out that performing leisure is a basic human
impulse that has also found expression over the centuries. With regard to the
online sites used for leisure, it makes the case that the history of the
development of the public park, product of a complex interplay of interests and
agendas of different stakeholders, provides a particularly rich resource for
gaining insights into the evolution of social networking sites. To illustrate
this heuristic potential, it draws on experiences ranging from democratization
of Beijing’s parks in early twentieth century to the movement of flâneurs across
Parisian public spaces to comment on the architecture of and activities on
social network sites.

Dr. Payal Arora
www.payalarora.com

Assistant Professor in International Media & Communication
Department of Communication, Erasmus University Rotterdam
The Netherlands