[Air-L] book announcement

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 01:09:53 PST 2011

well said and to the point - exactly.
That said: what is to prevent anyone from contacting an author whose name
s/he notices in a table of contents and asking for a copy of a given chapter
or article?
Without speaking for anyone else - this is a practice I engage in, as both
requester and sender. It is also true in my experience that most authors are
(generally) happy to respond positively to such requests, most especially
under the sorts of circumstances you describe. Obviously, we want our work
to be read and critically evaluated - not sequestered.
An advantage of this practice, in my experience, is that it sometimes
fosters helpful dialogue and creative collaboration between scholars who
otherwise will not likely meet.
Not an ideal solution, perhaps, but perhaps not also such a bad one?

My two bits - and please keep throwing in yours!
- charles