[Air-L] book announcement

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 9 01:28:29 PST 2011

My two cents worth or deux cent ( 200)

I guess part of being successful as an undergrad is being resourceful vis a
vie books. I still bought every course book expect professor prepared essay
collections when I was an undergrad. The essay collections I researched and
found in the library.

What's wrong with using a university library as our universities here allow
the general public some borrowing rights? Two books that Barry Wellman
posted titles of I found at the local U libraries. Of course, this doesn’t
solve the developing world access and may be the developing world should pay
attention less to the developed world's research agenda. And here the
general public has a hard time getting online journal access from the U
libraries.

One of my professors has this site on her web page http://www.addall.com for
buying text books which will search for the cheapest price including
shipping. This may put the university book stores out of business eh?

Going on the basis of one large multi volume set on Research Ethics I
borrowed a volume of from school, I would say the size was off putting. May
be I can not cope with large books unless they are photo coffee table books.
Volume of this size in my use are used for one chapter or less, or as a
reference like some Oxford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy where I read the
entry on computer ethics and put the book back on the reference shelf. I
don't buy these reference books generally for personal use. I also have seen
professors buying on amazon and they explain to me that they spend their
grant money buying books. So yes being in a position of money is different.

Now the Cambridge Handbook of Information and Computer Ethics ed Luciano
Floridi, I am borrowing and reading slowly and it is not a big book and
Charles Ess is coauthor of a chapter I have read already. The cost is about
36.87$ CND for paperback on Amazon.ca. This is typical for a social sciences
book (IMHE) but up about 10$ from 25 years ago I would guess. I like this
book.

In my math courses the books, and these are textbooks students are expected
to buy in each course, run in the 80$ to 160$ range. Law books run at 25$ to
45$ for criminal codes and then 60$ or so for case analysis or annotated
criminal code books in basic undergrad courses. I think in advanced law you
would be paying more.

Anyways thanks for reading and I hope this helps the discussion. I am going
back this morning to learning Gplot in SAS for my nine to five job from the
huge collection of published online for free SAS conference proceedings.
Although the cheapest SAS publishing book in Kindle Edition is about 38$.

Peter Timusk
at571 at ncf.ca
ptimusk at sympatico.ca
web: www.crystalcomputing.net