[Air-L] Tenure track position in communication studies and new media.

Pauline Cheong paulinehopecheong at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 20:50:39 PST 2011

Hi, we've just began a new tenure track position (assistant professor) in
an area of AOIR interest. Please see information below, all best!

The *Hugh Downs School of Human Communication* in the College of Liberal
Arts and Sciences on the Tempe Campus of Arizona State University is
seeking a tenure-earning assistant professor in communication studies and
new media to begin in Fall 2012.

 Successful applicants will articulate teaching and research efforts in
relation to our School’s mission within the New American University model.  Our
mission aims to produce transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary scholarship
and teaching that responds to pressing issues in the world today.
Specifically,
we seek a new media scholar whose interests align with our research
initiatives in strategic communication; health communication; conflict
transformation; wellness and work-life; as well as our core expertise in
interpersonal, intercultural, and organizational communication, rhetoric
and performance studies.  We are searching for an outstanding candidate
whose teaching, research, and service complements our vibrant faculty and
program.

 This position includes:  teaching courses at the graduate and
undergraduate levels; establishing and maintaining an ongoing research
program in area of specialty; contributing to curriculum development;
seeking external research funding; serving on school, college, and
university committees; assisting with recruitment of students for ASU and
the program; and, providing service to professional associations and the
community.  Salary will be competitive based on qualifications.

 Required:  Applicant must hold a Ph.D. in communication or related field
at the time of appointment; evidence of excellence in teaching and research
at the postsecondary level.

 Desired: Demonstrated evidence of experience in research methodology.
Successful experience teaching/assisting in a large lecture format
class.  Expertise
in new media.  Evidence of ability to seek and secure external funding
support.

 The HDSHC includes 23 full-time faculty members and offers the BA, BS,
MIP, and Ph.D. degrees in communication.  The School offers laboratory
facilities, computer resources, project support, grant development support,
and a performance studio.  The Main Campus is located in Tempe, a
progressive suburb of Phoenix.  Our location offers the resources of a
major metropolitan area (5+ million) in a state with spectacular natural
scenery and recreational areas, sublime winters, and a culturally rich
population.

The postmarked application deadline is *January 6, 2012; *if the position
is not filled, then applications will be accepted every subsequent Friday
until search is closed.  Applicants must submit a cover letter specifying
interest in the position and how their qualifications match the required
and desired qualifications; curriculum vitae; names, addresses, phone
numbers, and email addresses of three professional references; evidence of
excellence in teaching (e.g. syllabi, teaching evaluations); and evidence
of excellence in scholarship (e.g. reprints of published articles).  A
background check is required for employment.

Arizona State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer committed to excellence through diversity.  Women and minorities
are encouraged to apply.  ASU’s complete non-discrimination statement can
be found at:  https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/

Address application materials to:

Dr. Steven Corman, Search Committee Chair

The Hugh Downs School of Human Communication

Arizona State University

P. O. Box 871205 (regular mail)

Tempe, AZ  85287-1205

or

950 S. Forest Ave., room A412 (express mail)

Tempe, AZ  85281

For additional information:

HDSHC Strategic Initiatives: www.asu.edu/clas/communication/about

ASU, A New American University:  http://newamericanuniversity.asu.edu/