[Air-L] Short Paper CFP: EGOS 2012 Design!?

Ingrid Erickson ierick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 15:59:27 PST 2011

Apologies for cross-posting

Call for Short Paper Submissions

EGOS Subtheme 36: Artifacts, Openness and Digital Practice in Design Collaboration

We invite you to submit a short paper to participate in a discussion on “Artifacts, Openness and Digital Practice in Design Collaboration” at the 28th EGOS Colloquium 2012. The conference, organized around the theme of ‘Design!?’, will take place at the Aalto University and Hanken School of Economics in Helsinki, Finland from July 5-7, 2012.

Our subtheme will investigate the emergent phenomenon of distributed design collaboration--a type of virtual organization that couples the tools and practices of virtual collaboration with the protocols and processes of design. We seek scholars who wish to challenge current assumptions about the ways in which virtual organizations function with their own empirical cases of technologically-mediated creative work, particularly examples that showcase how groups accomplish key design processes such as brainstorming or prototyping at a distance. We also welcome papers that investigate the sociomaterial turn in design as well as the ways that the material and digital combine in new types of collaboration ecosystems.

Our session will be further refined by the following questions:

How does design collaboration differ from other forms of professional collaboration in research-oriented virtual organizations?
In what ways do ICT tools support or hinder the coordination, collaboration and innovation in distributed design work?

See http://bit.ly/egos2012subtheme36 for additional details.

Short papers of 3000 words or less are due on January 16, 2012 at 23:59:59 CET. Submission instructions can be found here: http://bit.ly/vuvNI7

Feel free to contact any of the subtheme conveners with questions:

Ingrid Erickson (Cornell University), ierick at gmail.com

Laura Forlano (IIT Institute of Design), lforlano at id.iit.edu

Ramon Sangüesa (Technical University of Catalonia), ramonsang at gmail.com