[Air-L] Call, Conference & Workshop 'Social Cities of Tomorrow' Amsterdam, FEB 14-17 2012

Martijn de Waal martijndewaal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 05:59:01 PST 2011

Announcement & Call for:

*Social Cities of Tomorrow*

*International conference & workshop in Amsterdam, the Netherlands*

http://www.socialcitiesoftomorrow.nl

Conference: 17 February 2012

Preconference workshop: 14-16 February 2012

Our everyday lives are increasingly shaped by digital media technologies,
from smart cards and intelligent GPS systems to social media and
smartphones. How can we use digital media technologies to make our cities
more social, rather than just more hi-tech?

This international conference brings together key thinkers and doers
working in the fields of new media and urbanism. Keynote speakers such as
Usman Haque, Natalie Jeremijenko will speak about the promises and
challenges in this newly emerging and highly interdisciplinary field of
urban design. The keynotes will be accompanied by presentations of 'best
practices' from various disciplines, such as architecture, art, design, and
policy.

Join us in February 2012 at Amsterdam's Westergasfabriek to explore how
urban designers, interface developers, app builders, policy makers, housing
coorations, artists, scientists and others can use digital technologies to
organise citizen engagement, and to contribute to our social cities of
tomorrow.

*Who should attend Social Cities of Tomorrow?*

   - Architects and urban planners interested in the ways digital media
   technologies shape city life, and how this translates to urban design.
   - Housing cooperations and real estate developers interested in new ways
   to engage citizens in the co-creation of their living conditions.
   - Artists, designers and media creatives who make work for physical
   environments and the urban public sphere.
   - Policy makers and local government interested in the potential of
   digital media technologies for urban issues.
   - Community organisers and social innovators who want to learn more
   about how digital media and collaborative principles from e-culture can be
   used for citizen engagement.
   - Scholars & Researchers interested in our theme

*Call for projects (17 February 2012)*

The conference programme will feature around ten project presentations:
urban design interventions, projects by housing corporations, media
artists, citizen initiatives, technology companies, or others. If you're
interested in proposing your project for a presentation during the
international conference on 17 February 2012, go to Call for
Projects<http://www.socialcitiesoftomorrow.nl/call>.
The deadline for submission is 15 December 2011, 17:00 CET

*Workshop (14 - 16 February 2012)*

A preconference workshop will be held at ARCAM, Amsterdam for a select,
interdisciplinary group of designers, programmers and digital creatives.
The aim of this experimental workshop is to bring together local
stakeholder organisations, and participants from various professional and
national backgrounds to collaborate in real-world social design challenges.
All those interested in participating should visit the Workshop
section<http://www.socialcitiesoftomorrow.nl/workshop> of
this website.

----

*Social Cities of Tomorrow*

International conference & workshop 14 - 17 February 2012 in Amsterdam,
Netherlands

*How can we use digital media technologies to make our cities more social,
rather than just more hi-tech?*

Social Cities of Tomorrow is organised by The Mobile City, Virtueel
Platform and ARCAM.

socialcitiesoftomorrow at gmail.com

http://www.socialcitiesoftomorrow.nl