[Air-L] Fully funded PhD position on Social Networking Sites in Turkey

Heather Horst heather.horst at rmit.edu.au
Tue Nov 29 08:09:38 PST 2011

This new position may be of interest to MA students on the AoIR list or faculty with students interested in SNS.

Forwarded on behalf of Danny Miller...

Fully Funded PhD on social networking sites in Turkey

I am not unhappy to note that I have received a grant to study social networking sites in seven countries over the next five years. The countries in question will be Brazil, China, India, Romania, Turkey, Trinidad and the UK. The team will be entirely comprised of anthropologists and the method will be traditional ethnography in a small town in each country. It will be a mix of post-doctoral and post-graduate studies. The topic will be all aspects of social networking sites within the general context of polymedia.

At present all these posts are full except one, which is the study of Turkey since the person I had selected for that position took up another post while we were waiting to hear if we got the grant. The post is a fully funded PhD for four years including fees and maintenance, based on full time research with no teaching expected. The topic has to follow that of the project as comparative with the other six countries. One problem is that the student has to be from the EU i.e. eligible to pay home rather than overseas fees at a UK university, which unfortunately excludes students based in Turkey. But if you know of anyone who speaks Turkish, has some qualification in anthropology and would like to do a PhD on social networking sites, please have them contact me at d.miller at ucl.ac.uk, the selection will be made in January, and the position starts 1st October 2012

Daniel Miller
Anthropology UCL

Heather A. Horst
Vice-Chancellors Senior Research Fellow