[Air-L] question re research on hostility towards women in online communities

Katherine Macnaughton-Osler k_macosler at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 22 07:24:38 PST 2011

Hello,

I'm not sure about Farsi-speaking online communities, but a good global source of information about violence against women online is the annual campaign "Take Back the Tech!" (http://takebackthetech.net/ - and on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/takebackthetech). The campaign is about to begin this year - it takes place from November 25th to December 10th every year.

There is certainly a lot of violence against women online - particularly sexualized violence, which is different from online violence aimed at men. I would predict that would hold true for Persian women as well as women everywhere.

Please let us know the results of your findings (or at least me, privately)? Thank you.

Katherine Macnaughton-Osler