[Air-L] Arab spring & social media evidence

Dave Karpf davekarpf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:02:05 PDT 2011

I think Alex H's point was that many more empirical studies aren't going to
affect that element of the popular discourse.

Or put another way, when a journalist calls you up and asks a question like
this (the one I get are usually along the lines of "is clicktivism good or
bad?"), they want a simple answer.  If you give them a complex/nuanced
answer, they're either going to (a) misquote you or (b) not quote you at
all.  And if they *do* delve into the complexity as you explained it, their
editor will surely tell them to cut it down and simplify it.

As far as I can tell, egypt-as-twitter-revolution is basically a zombie lie.
 Far more people debunk the claim than actually hold the claim.  It remains
propped up solely for the debunking.

...All that said, David Faris gave an excellent presentation at the American
Political Science Association Annual Meeting a few weeks ago, titled "Yes
Malcolm, there really are social media revolutions."  His argument, as I
understand it, is that if Tahrir (and the years of organizing the preceded
Tahrir) doesn't count as a social media-enabled revolution, then that just
means we need to rethink the term.

-DK