[Air-L] Arab spring & social media evidence

paolo massa paolo at gnuband.org
Fri Sep 16 00:47:53 PDT 2011

Hi!
We have written a paper titled "Collective memory building in
Wikipedia: The case of North African uprisings"
in which we look at how hundreds of editors of Wikipedia collaborated
in building the collective memory of the Egyptian revolution, in real
time, as the traumatic events unfolded.
Wikipedia is of course different from Facebook and Twitter but it is
built in a bottom-up fashion by "normal people" as the other social
media. One of the differences is that while on Facebook or Twitter you
can write what you want, on Wikipedia you have to mediate with other
people's perspectives and (try to) reach a Neutral Point Of View. This
is especially hard for traumatic events and during the first days.

I'm going to present the paper at WikiSym (3 October 2011, Mountain
View) so any suggestion/criticism is more than welcome!
The paper can be found at
http://www.gnuband.org/papers/collective_memory_building_in_wikipedia_the_case_of_north_african_uprisings/

Paolo