[Air-L] Public Sphere Article?

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at uti.at
Tue Aug 14 07:26:31 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have used the following syllabbus for a lecture and seminar on
(digital) public sphere and do think it is crucial for the development
of the general intellect and the academic culture of higher education
that our students read texts by Habermas etc. that are not as easily
consumable as hot dogs, otherwise we end up with a fast brain food
higher education culture, which is probably already much too advanced...

Best, Christian

1) Thompson, John B. 1995. The media and modernity. Cambridge: Polity
Press. Chapters 2+4.
2) Habermas, Jürgen. 2006. Political communication in media sociey.
Communication Theory 16 (4): 411-426.
3) Habermas, Jürgen. 1992. Further reflections on the public sphere and
concluding remarks. In Habermas and the public sphere, ed. Craig
Calhoun, 421-479. Cambridge, MA: MIT

1) Sparks, Colin. 2001. The Internet and the global public sphere. In
Mediated politics. Communication in the future of society, eds. W. Lance
Bennett and Robert M. Entman, 75-95. New York: Cambridge University Press.
2) Fuchs, Christian. 2008. The Internet and society. New York:
Routledge. Chapter 8.2: Digital inclusion: eParticipation as grassroots
digital democracy (pp. 225-252)
3) Dahlberg, Lincoln. 2004. Net-public sphere research: beyond the
‘first phase’. Javnost – The Public 11 (1): 27-44.