[Air-L] 2012 Book Award Winners

Alexander Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 10:39:48 PDT 2012

It gives me great pleasure to announce the winner of this year's book
award: Jason Farman for his book "Mobile Interface Theory: Embodied
Space and Locative Media." More information on the work may be found
at http://mobileinterfacetheory.com/. In addition, the committee
selected for honorable mention Thomas Streeter's "The Net Effect:
Romanticism, Capitalism, and the Internet" (
http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/Net_Effect/ ).

The book award committee had this to say of Prof. Farman's book:

"The committee was particularly impressed with Farman's ability to
bring into focus the centrality of place and lived time to the current
and future analysis of connectivity and mediated communication. The
book provided a nice combination of forward-thinking, theoretical yet
empirically solid work grounded in a strong historical understanding
of new media that opens up avenues for new research and new theory.
'Mobile Interface Theory' also makes us look at the unfolding present
and accept the changes foretold within. It has the potential to inform
new scholarship, re-set directions, and remind us that, now, the
Internet is not somewhere else, but right here, in our pockets, our
minds, our places."

Thanks go to the committee members--Steve Jones, Sonia Livingstone,
and Matthew Allen--for taking on a hefty amount of analytical reading
in a short period of time. Thanks also to everyone who submitted their
books for consideration. The award is intended to encourage excellence
in internet research, and it is heartening to see so much good work
being done.

Prof. Farman will be presenting a paper at IR13.0, where I can do so
in person, but for now, I am pleased to be the first to congratulate
him on the award.

Best,

Alex Halavais
AoIR President

//
// This email is
// [x] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais, ciberflâneur
// http://alex.halavais.net
//