[Air-L] CFP: Internet Computing issue on Internet Censorship and Control

Hal Roberts hroberts at cyber.law.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 20 10:32:51 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I'm co-guest-editing an issue of IEEE's Internet Computing on Internet
Censorship and Control with Steven Murdoch.  Internet Computing is
mostly read by geeks, including a combination of industry and academic
folks.  But the hope is that we'll get submissions that combine social
and technical thinking, to expose that audience to an integrated view of
the problems.

Please let me know if you have any questions about something you're
thinking of submitting.

Below is the CFP.

Thanks!

-hal

Internet Censorship and Control (May/June 2013)

Final submissions due 1 September 2012

Please email the guest editors a brief description of the article you
plan to submit by 15 August 2012

Guest Editors: Hal Roberts and Steven Murdoch (ic3-2013 at computer.org)

The Internet is a battleground where fights for technical, social, and
political control are waged, including between governments and their
citizens, separate governments, and competing commercial interests.
These fights take many forms, such as Internet filtering versus
circumvention, surveillance versus anonymization, adversarial attacks
versus protection mechanisms, and on- and offline persecution and
defense of online activists. These battles impact and are impacted by
the Internet’s technical structure. As the Internet continues to embed
itself into our world, its structural changes will have an increasing
effect on our social and political structures and vice versa.

This special issue seeks articles on the technical, social, and
political mechanisms and impacts of Internet censor- ship and control.
We’re soliciting both technical and social science articles, and
especially encourage those that combine the two. Appropriate topics include

* explorations of how the Internet’s technical, social, and political
structures impact its censorship and control;
* evaluations of how existing technologies and policies affect Internet
censorship and control;
* proposals for new technologies and policies;
* discussions on how proposed technical, legal, or governance changes to
the Internet affect censorship and control;
* analysis of techniques, methodologies, and results of monitoring
Internet censorship and control; and
* examinations of trade-offs between control and freedom, and how these
sides can be balanced.

More information and submission information here:

http://www.computer.org/portal/web/computingnow/iccfp3

--
Hal Roberts
Fellow