[Air-L] Technology as ideologically neutral?

Janet Sternberg janet.sternberg at nyu.edu
Thu Jul 5 07:04:22 PDT 2012

Greetings, and thank you for reminding us of this important issue.

Regarding the notion that technology in general is not ideologically
neutral, the late Neil Postman immediately comes to mind, as well as
other scholars such as Jacques Ellul, who have been identified with the
intellectual tradition Postman led, media ecology. Two relevant classics
which have stood the test of time, although they don't mention the
Internet specifically:

Postman, N. (1992). Technopoly: The surrender of culture to technology.
New York: Alfred A. Knopf.

Ellul, J. (1964). The technological society (J. Wilkinson, Trans.). New
York: Vintage Books. (Original work published 1954)

Regards to all,
Janet

Janet Sternberg, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor