[Air-L] Finding a Proxy for Hot Terms in volatile contexts?

intl2 intl2 at securenym.net
Tue Oct 16 13:06:07 PDT 2012

Hi.
I am measuring outgroup perceptions and migration in a volatile
location.  After some strong reaction to terms used directly in some of
my interviews, I need to find proxies for some of the "Hot Terms".  What
I mean is that I want to find words that I can use that will strongly
correlate to the "Hot Terms" in measuring perceptions of in-groups and
out-groups but will not be such a problem to discuss calmly in both
quant and qual surveying.

For example:
Fundamentalist
Right-Wing
Left-Wing
Liberal
Conservative

and, of course,
Murder
Assassination
Arson
Riot

I will appreciate direct suggestions on how to find appropriate terms,
or literature that will help me move forward to quickly measure
perceptions at a lower stress level for all involved.

Thank you.

Jon Gresham