[Air-L] Understanding Social Media

Dominic Yeo skyrock at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 15:47:44 PDT 2013

I proposed a series of social media courses for the undergraduate programme
at my department. This is how I organized the introductory-level course
"Web 2.0 and Social Media":

1 Introduction to Web 2.0 and Social Media
- media, technological and cultural characteristics

2 Communicating, Interacting, Sharing
- online communities, blogging, social network sites, etc.

3 Searching, Playing, Entertaining
- social games, virtual worlds, e-health, cyber dating/sexuality, etc.

4      Targeting, Listening, Engaging
- data mining, word-of-mouth marketing, digital communication management,
etc.

5 Social and Ethical Issues
- privacy, social movements, consumer activism, etc.

After taking this course, students have a choice of two intermediate-level
social media courses related to their specific specialization (PR or
advertising) and an advanced-level course on "Research using Social Media".

Dominic Yeo

Research Assistant Professor
Dept of Communication Studies
Hong Kong Baptist University