[Air-L] Advice on dissertation publishing?

Mark Chen markchen at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 23 19:32:03 PDT 2013

(resending from uw acct)

My dissertation was on proquest, open, and I threw in a CC license for good
measure (after reading danah boyd's how to).

It did not prevent me from getting a book deal (with Peter Lang). A couple
of my chapters were published before the diss and became chapters (not
verbatim tho), and Peter Lang didn't seem to have a problem with that
either. It may have been because I worked with a series and therefore the
series editors (who were the awesome Michele Knobel and Colin Lankshear).

For a while my dissertation was being sold at Barnes & Nobel as an ebook
while my book was simultaneously out on Amazon but wasn't available as an
ebook. The book is a much, much better rewrite, and B&N was charging the
same, so this pissed me off a bit. I don't think that's happening anymore,
but Peter Lang still hasn't released the ebook version...

mark