[Air-L] Advice on dissertation publishing?

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 16:55:25 PDT 2013

My dissertation is also CC licensed (also following danah's how-do,
thanks danah), and I embargoed it from ProQuest because I wanted to
put it up on my own website, where it is still freely available.

Not only did this NOT hurt me getting a book deal, but I put in my
book proposal that the diss. had been downloaded 3,000 times, which
helped convince prospective publishers that there was a market for the
book.

My diss has also been cited a bit, which is great.

Now that the book is coming out (November 26, makes a great
Thanksgiving gift), I really don't want people reading the
dissertation anymore because the book is SO much better. But it's
still up there (although I think it's not linked from the front page
of my website anymore, but mostly because I forgot the last time I
updated the page, not for any great reason) because I don't like the
idea of having a fiscal barrier to accessing my work. I did not CC the
book, which is a whole other conversation.

(Mark, I had my undergrads read parts of Leet Noobs, by the way- it
sparked great conversations!)

Best,
Alice

http://bit.ly/StatusUpdateBook