[Air-L] CFP: Third Annual MOOD Symposium

Paulus, Trena M tpaulus at utk.edu
Wed Nov 26 03:58:05 PST 2014

CALL FOR PAPERS: «Online Communication, Discourse and Context»

http://www.ds.uzh.ch/Tagungen/MOOD-Z

3rd international Symposium: Micro-Analysis of Online Data (MOOD-Z)
University of Zurich, Switzerland | July 16th – 17th 2015

The Micro-Analysis of Online Data (MOOD) network is an interdisciplinary group of scholars who explore theoretical and methodological issues related to the study of computer mediated communication (CMC). Although our broad focus is on the application and/or adaptation of conversation and discourse analytic techniques to online data, we are also sensitive to the fact that much online data consist of visual or hypertextual material. Therefore we are also interested in developing novel methods that are tailored towards multimodal environments with limited verbal and paralinguistic data from platforms such as Pinterest to Soundcloud to SecondLife.

The 2015 symposium will include two keynote speakers:
Prof. Dr. Miriam Locher, University of Basel
Dr. Sean Rintel, University of Queensland and Microsoft Research Cambridge

We invite proposals for paper presentations that address theoretical, methodological, and method-based issues related to the analysis of CMC. We particularly encourage submissions related to the following topics:
 The application of conversation analysis and various forms of discourse analysis to the study of online interaction.
 Methodological challenges related to carrying out micro-analyses of online discourse/ CMC environments, particularly with methodologies typically applied to face-to-face interactions.
 Theoretical considerations around the communicative conditions for online (written) communication, e.g. addressing
issues such as physical vs. virtual presence, and how processes of reading and writing differ in their communicative conditions and consequences from face-to-face interaction.
 The issue of ‘place’ and ‘space’ in (relation to) online discourse.
 Technologies that support the analysis of online interaction.
 Ethical dilemmas inherent to the study of online interaction.

Submission instructions: Proposals (max. 500 words) for presentations (15 minutes) should be submitted as Word documents to mood-z at ds.uzh.ch by 28th February 2015.

Please include the full title of your proposed paper, institutional affiliation, and contact information (including email).

For more information about the Symposium: http://www.ds.uzh.ch/Tagungen/MOOD-Z
For more information about the MOOD network: http://moodnetwork.ruhosting.nl/

Organisation committee of MOOD-Z: David Giles (University of Winchester), Jessica Nina Lester (Indiana University), Katrin Lindemann (University of Zurich), Trena Paulus (University of Georgia), Emanuel Ruoss (University of Zurich), Wyke Stommel (Radbout Universiteit Nijmegen), Caroline Weinzinger (University of Zurich)