[Air-L] Web traffic rankings and numbers

Stacy Blasiola sblasi2 at uic.edu
Mon Sep 1 23:34:20 PDT 2014

It really depends on the nature of your question. As I understand it, their
system isn't capable of detecting fine changes in site traffic. So, if
you're looking for local media traffic after a local breaking story, I
don't know that Alexa is a good choice. If you're looking at traffic to
NBCOlympics.com and the games are in progress, then it probably can give
you something useful. Or if you're looking at traffic from one of the
larger sites, in general, it will probably be useful.

If we're considering the entire Internet, "Sites with relatively low
measured traffic will not be accurately ranked by Alexa. We do not receive
enough data from our sources to make rankings beyond 100,000 statistically
meaningful." (From
https://alexa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200449744-How-are-Alexa-s-traffic-rankings-determined-

Cheers,
Stacy