[Air-L] Trust in online communities

Tony Ratcliffe mail at ratcliffe.ca
Mon Apr 13 07:55:02 PDT 2015

My qualitative study is examining how security management and investigation
professionals use online communities for work-related learning. I have
conducted 30 interviews by Skype and by telephone. The first 10 were
exploratory; the latter 20 in the main study were more focused. While a
thematic analysis identified four main themes, the underlying issue relating
to participation is all about trust (or lack thereof). Concerns relate to
privacy, confidentiality, exposure, vulnerability, and authenticity.

It is time to do a more in-depth analysis of the interview data. I want to
apply both communities of practice and trust frameworks to the analysis. I
would appreciate if anyone has any specific suggestions for the approach,
particularly relating to trust. Suggested readings are welcome.

I look forward to meeting many of you at IR16 in Phoenix. My plane and hotel
are booked. I just need to register.

Thanks for any input,

Tony

Tony Ratcliffe