[Air-L] Trust in online communities

Jeanine Finn jefinn at utexas.edu
Wed Apr 15 08:20:04 PDT 2015

Sorry to come so late to this. But trust and information credibility have been my research areas for a couple years.

What helped me initially was to find a pretty solid theoretical trust model that worked well to connect online communities, communities of practice, and social capital. I’m in information sciences - so knowledge-sharing was the particular kind of interaction that I was most interested in.

I found Russell Hardin’s concept of “encapsulated interest” (from Trust and Trustworthiness, 2004) very useful, particularly as he connects it to Luhmann’s functional look at trust as a way to reduce complexity.

I would also be interested in seeing your list of other references.

Thanks!

Jeanine

Jeanine Finn
Doctoral Student