[Air-L] New app for social media translation and annotation

An Xiao Mina anxiaostudio at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:59:24 PST 2015

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share some news about a new project our team at Meedan has been
working on, called Bridge, an app for social translation of social media. I
believe I've been in touch with a number of folks on the AIR-L list
independently, and I apologies for the double info.

Bridge was recently featured in Nieman Lab, and the article offers a nice
overview of the project:

With Bridge, Meedan hopes to convey the nuances of language that often get
lost in the machine translations that the social networks currently use….
Meedan is currently focused only on Arabic, Spanish, and Portuguese, and
for now it’s only offering it as an iPhone app, though there is a desktop
reader that lets users follow different feeds of translated posts for
various events.

http://www.niemanlab.org/2015/08/tweeting-across-borders-with-a-new-mobile-app-meedan-is-working-to-improve-social-media-translation/

Now, we’re thinking a lot about how we’re taking Bridge forward as a
platform for human-powered translations of social media in real time news,
and we're also interested in speaking with researchers who might want to
use the app for their work. I could imagine it being particularly
applicable in global research contexts.

If this sounds like it might be of interest, please do reach out, and I'd
be happy to share more info about the app, chat on Skype, etc.

Best,
An