[Air-L] CFP for ICA Post-Conference on Communicating with Machines - Due Date 12/15/2015

Andrea Guzman alguzman at niu.edu
Tue Nov 17 13:06:59 PST 2015

This CFP for a post-conference regarding Human-Machine Communication convened in conjunction with the International Communication Association's Conference in Fukuoka, Japan, in June 2016, may be of interest to some of you. Please distribute to your networks. You can direct any questions to me.

"Communicating with Machines: The Rising Power of Digital Interlocutors in Our Lives"

Overview: Digital interlocutors are increasingly standing in for humans in communication contexts. This post-conference focuses on the power of artificial entities fostered in and through Human-Machine Communication (HMC), which encompasses Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), and Human-Agent Interaction (HAI). We invite scholars to discuss their work regarding the individual, cultural, and philosophical implications of interactions with machines (including hardware and software). We seek to raise awareness of and further develop HMC research and the scholarly community surrounding it.

Sponsors:

University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Communication

Northern Illinois University, Department of Communication

Communication and Social Robotics Lab – Western Michigan University School of Communication and the University of Kentucky College of Communication & Information, School of Information Science

Chairs:

Andrea L. Guzman, Northern Illinois University

David J. Gunkel, Northern Illinois University,

Steve Jones, University of Illinois at Chicago

Autumn Edwards, Western Michigan University

Chad Edwards, Western Michigan University

Patric Spence, University of Kentucky

Contact: Andrea L. Guzman, alguzman at niu.edu