[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 135, Issue 4

Charles Steinfield steinfie at msu.edu
Mon Oct 5 15:42:06 PDT 2015

Kevin,
While I am sure this is not the earliest reference to this idea, it was certainly a core argument in Shoshanna Zuboff’s 1988 book  “In the Age of the Smart Machine.”  It’s been a long time since I looked at the book, but as I recall, she talks at length about the role of information byproducts generated computer-mediated work to better manage organizations, not always in positive ways from the perspective of workers. To me, this is fundamentally an argument about “digital trace data."

best,
Chip

Charles Steinfield
Department of Media and Information