[Air-L] Call for papers - CaTaC'16 - June 16-18, 2016 - University of West London

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 05:26:18 PDT 2015

Dear AoIRists,

With the usual apologies for cross-postings and duplications, please pass
along to potentially interested colleagues, including graduate students.

Many thanks,
- charles ess

*CaTaC’16: Culture, Technology, Communication:*

*Common world, different futures?*

*Save the Dates: First Call for Papers *

*Venue*: University of West London

*Dates*: June 16-18, 2016

*Conference Co-organizers:*

·      José Abdelnour-Nocera, *Local host  *(School of Computing and
Technology, University of West London)

·      Charles Ess, *CaTaC Co-chair* (Department of Media and
Communication, University of Oslo)

·      Maja van der Velden, *CaTaC Co-chair* (Department of Informatics,
University of Oslo)

*Programme Committee*

·      Herbert Hrachovec, (Philosophy Department, University of Vienna)

·      Michele M. Strano, *Program Chair* (Communication Studies,
Bridgewater College)

The tenth biennial conference on “Culture, Technology, Communication” –
(CaTaC)’16 – will take place on June 15-17, 2016, at the Brentford site of
the University of West London.
The Brentford site and nearby Ealing Campus (including hotels and
restaurants) are very conveniently located for arrival via Heathrow as well
as from London by tube.  (For initial orientation, please see: <
http://www.uwl.ac.uk/about-us/our-location/ealing-site>)

CaTaC'16 will be open for papers located within culture, technology, and
communication, applying different theoretical and methodological
perspectives, genres, and styles. In addition, CaTaC'16 will have three
themes:

*Culture, Technology, and Communication: Is Another Design Possible?*

Design is complicit in the creation and sustainment of our unjust, unsafe,
and unsustainable world. The technologies, products, and services we design
today will shape the lives of generations to come, human as well as
nonhuman. For this theme we invite papers that critically explore
technologies used today and alternative technology designs and design
perspectives that make other futures possible.

*Culture, Technology, and Communication in Design for Development*

For this theme we invite papers that report on and address the main
challenges for design and innovation in the Global South. We would also
like to see good examples of design for community development in the Global
North to understand points of convergence and divergence with experiences
in the

Global South.

*Culture, Technology, and Communication in Practice?*

We invite papers that have the *practice* of information and communication
technologies in specific cultural contexts as their main focus. Examples
include:

·      *Cultural diversity and global ICTs*, e.g., global health
information systems, Wikipedia, social media, surveillance and
sousveillance, Big Data collection and analysis, etc.

·      *Global and local cultures of computing*, e.g. outsourcing, global
development teams; the identity of migrants and the experience of
migration; appropriation, creolization, hybridization between cultures and
also between technologies;

·      *The construction of identity* using online social media, gaming,
and blogging platforms;

·      *Political activism through social media* vis-à-vis governmental and
corporate censorship, control of access, etc.;

·      *Privacy issues* in media environments that encourage public
identities;

·      *Additional ethical issues* evoked in the design, implementation,
usages, and (counter-) responses to ICTs across diverse cultural contexts,
especially vis-à-vis efforts to sustain and enhance local cultural
identities, practices, norms, etc.

Please see our website, <http://philo.at/ocs2/index.php/london16/>
<http://philo.at/ocs2/index.php/london16/>.
Additional conference details, including registration fees, and
keynote speakers, will be announced soon on the conference website.

Both short (3-5 pages) and long (10-15 pages) original papers are sought
for presentation.  Panel proposals addressing a specific theme or topic are
also encouraged: please include names of committed participants and
(provisional) presentation titles.

*Important Dates:*

Paper submission for peer-review: February 15, 2016

Notification of acceptance: April 1, 2016

Final papers and panel descriptions due for *Conference Proceedings*: May
1, 2016

The *Conference Proceedings* will be published on the conference website
with an ISBN number. Authors retain copyright to their papers and are
welcome to attach a Creative Commons license indication on their work.

Additional conference details, including registration fees, and keynote
speakers, will be announced soon on the conference website.

We look forward to welcoming you to London next June!

Jose, Michele, Herbert, Charles, and Maja