[Air-L] Twitter hashtags used without searching in mind

Unger, Johann j.unger at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Oct 20 03:28:21 PDT 2015

Hi Neil,

There’s quite a lot of broadly discourse-analytical work on this in linguistics and related disciplines. Here are a few references for starters:

Bruns, A., & Moe, H. (2013). Structural layers of communication on Twitter. Twitter and society, 89, 15-28. (see also the chapter by Halavais in the same volume)

Page, R. (2012). The linguistics of self-branding and micro-celebrity in Twitter: The role of hashtags. Discourse & Communication, 6(2), 181-201.

Marwick, A. E. (2011). I tweet honestly, I tweet passionately: Twitter users, context collapse, and the imagined audience. New media & society, 13(1), 114-133.

Zappavigna, M. (2011). Ambient affiliation: A linguistic perspective on Twitter. New media & society, 13(5), 788-806.

Zappavigna, M. (2012). Discourse of Twitter and social media: How we use language to create affiliation on the web. A&C Black.

I wouldn’t necessarily assume that tweets like the ones you describe are necessarily created with or without searchability in mind. Something like #justsayin/#justsaying or #ThankYouStephenHarper can have multiple functions, both as an (ironic) stance marker for the individual tweet and as a searchable hashtags of similar tweets...

Best, Johnny.