[Air-L] New open access book: Social Media in Northern Chile

Major, Alison alison.major at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 03:00:30 PDT 2016

***************Apologies for any cross-posting***************

UCL Press is delighted to announce the publication of an open access book that may be of interest to members of this list: Social Media in Northern Chile

Social Media in Northern Chile

Nell Haynes

Download a free open access copy: http://bit.ly/22J6GBz

This title available in both free open access and print editions (paperback, £15.00 | hardback, £35.00).

Based on 15 months of ethnographic research in the city of Alto Hospicio in northern Chile, this book describes how the residents use social media, and the consequences of this use in their daily lives. Nell Haynes argues that social media is a place where Alto Hospicio's residents - or Hospiceños - express their feelings of marginalisation that result from living in city far from the national capital, and with a notoriously low quality of life compared to other urban areas in Chile.

In actively distancing themselves from residents in cities such as Santiago, Hospiceños identify as marginalised citizens, and express a new kind of social norm. Yet Haynes finds that by contrasting their own lived experiences with those of people in metropolitan areas, Hospiceños are strengthening their own sense of community and the sense of normativity that shapes their daily lives. This exciting conclusion is illustrated by the range of social media posts about personal relationships, politics and national citizenship, particularly on Facebook.

Download a free open access copy: http://bit.ly/22J6GBz

About Why We Post

Why do we post on social media? Is it true that we are replacing face-to-face relationships with on-screen life? Are we becoming more narcissistic with the rise of selfies? Does social media create or suppress political action, destroy privacy or become the only way to sell something? And are these claims equally true for a factory worker in China and an IT professional in India?

With these questions in mind, nine anthropologists each spent 15 months living in communities in China, Brazil, Turkey, Chile, India, England, Italy and Trinidad. They studied not only platforms but the content of social media to understand both why we post and the consequences of social media on our lives. Their findings indicate that social media is more than communication - it is also a place where we now live.

This series explores and compares the results in a collection of ground-breaking and accessible ethnographic studies. To find out more, visit http://www.ucl.ac.uk/why-we-post

About UCL Press

UCL Press is the UK's first fully open access university press. Re-established at UCL in 2015, UCL Press publishes peer-reviewed scholarly monographs, edited collections, textbooks and journals, by both UCL academics and non-UCL academics. All its books are made available as free, downloadable PDFs from its website, as well as in print for sale through retailers at affordable prices, and many of its books are also made available on a free, enhanced, browser-based platform. Its mission is to make its published outputs available to a global audience, irrespective of their ability to pay. Find out more at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ucl-press.