[Air-L] Recommendations for short literary fiction and films on "digital culture"?

Michelle Alexander malex2xp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:58:01 PST 2016

Emma:

One of my favorites from a feminist SF class I took was "The Girl Who Was
Plugged In." by James Tiptree, Jr. / Alice Sheldon. I know it's in the
anthology *Her Smoke Rose Up Forever*.  It was originally published in 1974
but I think its themes and narrative still apply.

Also a good place to check is *The Mammoth Book of SF Stories by
Women* although
nothing leaps to mind in terms of titles.  Much of them were more about
relationships to technology and/or space than anything leaning more
cyberpunk-ish and that's where it sounds like you're leaning.  There's also
this list of Afrofuturism which might be worth poking around:
http://afrofuturism.net/literature.  I have not had the chance to yet.

Some good authors to look at are Butler and Hopkinson as well.  I have read
some short stories by them (nothing that 'fits' the theme) and don't know
if they have written anything which would be a better fit.  Although, I can
say that I enjoyed both authors.

Last, this seems like a good place to look as well:
https://iansales.com/2014/04/17/women-only-science-fiction-anthologies/

My favorite PK Dick story remains a tie between "Do Androids Dream of
Electric Sheep" and "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale."

Hope this helps,

-Michelle Alexander