[Air-L] Recommendations for short literary fiction and films on "digital culture"?

Capella Meurer capella.meurer at monash.edu
Tue Dec 20 22:53:58 PST 2016

If you're going to use the Humans series, I recommend checking out the
original Swedish one <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Humans>. The
English one is a pretty close copy, true, but the original is effective and
it's important to go back to the originals and to introduce your students
to a wide range of media. Look through some of the Black Mirror episodes
too, both the series on Netflix and the original British version. They do a
good job of messing around with digital culture.

Ready Player One <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One>is an
interesting take on digital culture and gaming culture; don't know if that
applies. Also, look at Feed by Mira Grant
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed_(Grant_novel)>. I know, zombie book,
but it use zombie drama as a stage for the rise of blogging culture, which
is an interesting way to play out the zombie trope. Zombies are becoming
their own genre, anyway, next to scifi, so, there you go.

On 21 December 2016 at 07:58, Michelle Alexander <malex2xp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Emma:
>
> One of my favorites from a feminist SF class I took was "The Girl Who Was
> Plugged In." by James Tiptree, Jr. / Alice Sheldon. I know it's in the
> anthology *Her Smoke Rose Up Forever*.  It was originally published in 1974
> but I think its themes and narrative still apply.
>
> Also a good place to check is *The Mammoth Book of SF Stories by
> Women* although
> nothing leaps to mind in terms of titles.  Much of them were more about
> relationships to technology and/or space than anything leaning more
> cyberpunk-ish and that's where it sounds like you're leaning.  There's also
> this list of Afrofuturism which might be worth poking around:
> http://afrofuturism.net/literature.  I have not had the chance to yet.
>
> Some good authors to look at are Butler and Hopkinson as well.  I have read
> some short stories by them (nothing that 'fits' the theme) and don't know
> if they have written anything which would be a better fit.  Although, I can
> say that I enjoyed both authors.
>
> Last, this seems like a good place to look as well:
> https://iansales.com/2014/04/17/women-only-science-fiction-anthologies/
>
> My favorite PK Dick story remains a tie between "Do Androids Dream of
> Electric Sheep" and "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale."
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -Michelle Alexander
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Emma Stamm <stamm at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am putting together a syllabus for an interdisciplinary arts/humanities
> > course that will include a unit on art and culture of the digital age. I
> am
> > currently seeking short literary fiction and films/video clips I can use
> > introduce college students (mostly freshmen and sophomores) to "digital
> > culture" in its various forms and guises.
> >
> > I am particularly interested in works published after 1980, although if
> > anyone can recommend their favorite short stories by Philip K. Dick,
> > William Gibson, women writers and writers of color, I'd be very
> > appreciative.
> >
> > Thank you so much!
> >
> > All the best,
> > Emma Stamm
> >
> > *Emma Stamm, MS*
> > *PhD Student & Instructor, Department of Religion and Culture*
> > *Virginia State Polytechnic University*
> > *www.realyou.me <http://www.realyou.me> | @turing_tests*

> > http://www.aoir.org/

*Capella Meurer *
Master of Psychology (Counselling)/Doctor of Philosophy candidate

*Psychology Programs, Faculty of Education*
Monash University
57 Scenic Boulevard
Clayton VIC 3800
Australia