[Air-L] Video Game Research - Fair Use?

Patricia Aufderheide pat.aufderheide at gmail.com
Thu May 5 15:05:25 PDT 2016

Delighted to share with you clear guidance from communication researchers,
where you can see the practices that will put you squarely within fair use
for your research:
http://archive.cmsimpact.org/fair-use/related-materials/codes/code-best-practices-fair-use-scholarly-research-communication
(look at the third category)
Created by ICA scholars and endorsed as well by NCA. On their websites,
it's only a PDF but if you want to be assured that a national association
of scholars has vetted this, here are the two websites:
http://www.icahdq.org/pubs/reports/fairuse.pdf
https://www.natcom.org/uploadedFiles/More_Scholarly_Resources/Publishing_Primer/PDF-publishingprimer-fair_use.pdf

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Benjamin Turpin <b.turpin at outlook.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I'm in the process of planning a research project that will involve
> recording how players emotionally and cognitively respond to particular
> types of video games.
>

> I'm hoping to allow participants to play a commercially available game for
> 60-90 minutes in lab conditions. There will be three different games with
> ten participants for each game.
>

> I had intended to use my personal copies of these games (purchased on
> Steam)
> for the experiment, but am unsure if this would make me legally vulnerable
> without seeking permission of the developers. Does anyone have any
> knowledge
> of whether this type of distribution would be considered 'fair use' of
> copyrighted materials?
>

> Any advice much appreciated!
>

> Ben Turpin
>
> PhD Student, Sociology
>
> University of Essex

Patricia Aufderheide, University Professor and Founder
Center for Media & Social Impact, School of Communication
American University
4400 Massachusetts Av., NW
American University, Washington, DC 20016-8017
McKinley Hall 323
@paufder @cmsimpact
www.cmsimpact.org <http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/>
paufder at american.edu
202-643-5356

Sample *Reclaiming Fair Use! * <http://cmsimpact.org/reclaiming>

Order Reclaiming Fair Use: How to Put Balance Back in Copyright, University
of Chicago Press, 2011.
<http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-Fair-Use-Balance-Copyright/dp/0226032280/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321544105&sr=8-2>