[Air-L] advice on course readings

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 06:01:52 PDT 2016

Rheingold’s “The Virtual Community” may be useful, it’s also free online which students always appreciate.
http://www.rheingold.com/vc/book/ <http://www.rheingold.com/vc/book/>

That link has the TOC, you’ll have to see which chapters if any serve your purposes.

If you really want historical antecedents, you should include the telegraph, which means James Carey’s telegraph chapter from Communication As Culture….
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Carey#Communication_As_Culture <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Carey#Communication_As_Culture>
…and also more mass press, Standage’s “The Victorian Telegraph”.

You could even include failed sort-of internets, like videotex.
Mosco, V. (1982). Pushbutton fantasies: Critical perspectives on videotex and information technology. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
Kyrish, S. (2001). Lessons from a predictive history: What videotex told us about the World Wide Web. Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, 7(4).

I am also tempted to include….
Baym, N. (1999). Tune in, log on: Soaps, fandom, and online community. New York, NY: Sage.
“Cataloging the world : Paul Otlet and the birth of the information age”  http://www.worldcat.org/title/cataloging-the-world-paul-otlet-and-the-birth-of-the-information-age/oclc/861478071 <http://www.worldcat.org/title/cataloging-the-world-paul-otlet-and-the-birth-of-the-information-age/oclc/861478071>

Of course these are my favorite things, they may not be what you are looking for (YMMV).

-Nat

Nathaniel Poor, PhD
http://github.com/natpoor <http://github.com/natpoor>
http://natpoor.blogspot.com <http://natpoor.blogspot.com/>