[Air-L] Compiled sources from request for readings regarding ethics and privacy in biometrics

Cory Robinson cory.robinson at liu.se
Tue Apr 11 00:05:58 PDT 2017

I sent out a request a few days ago for readings regarding ethics and privacy in biometrics (including facial recognition). I appreciate all that answered, and I have compiled a list of the sources provided.

TedX talks
Buolamwini, J. (2016, November). Joy Buolamwini: How I’m fighting bias in algorithms [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/joy_buolamwini_how_i_m_fighting_bias_in_algorithms

Book chapters
Lease, D. R., Guess, R., Lovaas, S., & Salveggio, E. (2014). Biometric Authentication. In S. Bosworth, M. E. Kabay, & E. Whyne (Eds.), Computer Security Handbook (6th ed.) (pp. 29.1-29.26). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.

Conference proceedings
Syed Ishtiaque Ahmed, Md. Romael Hoque, Md. Rashidujjaman Rifat, Nicola Dell, "Privacy, Security, and Surveillance in the Global South: A Study of Biometric Mobile SIM Registration in Bangladesh", In Proceedings of The ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017), Denver, Colorado, USA. (Forthcoming)

Books
Magnet, S. (2011). When biometrics fail: Gender, race, and the technology of identity. Duke University Press.

Gates, K. A. (2011). Our biometric future: Facial recognition technology and the culture of surveillance. NYU Press.

Thanks again to those that helped compile this list.

Best,
Cory
--
Senior Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Communication Design
Linköping University
E: cory.robinson at liu.se
http://liu-se.academia.edu/StephenCoryRobinson<http://colostate.academia.edu/StephenCoryRobinson>