[Air-L] Job Opening: Research Scientist @ Technology and Social Change Group (TASCHA) UW

Nic Weber nicholas.m.weber at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 13:54:44 PDT 2017

(Feel free to message me off-list if you are interested in more details)

The Technology & Social Change Group (TASCHA) <http://tascha.uw.edu/> at
the University of Washington Information School <https://ischool.uw.edu/> is
expanding our team. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Research
Scientist  who is passionate about research on public libraries,
information and communication technologies (ICTs), and international
development. The ideal candidate is curious, a risk-taker, thrives in a
collaborative environment and working with open practices, and is committed
to making a difference by advancing practice and policy, in addition to
generating new knowledge.

As our new Senior Research Scientist, you’ll have the unique opportunity to
contribute to an exciting and evolving research agenda about public
libraries, ICTs, and international development. In addition to working on
center-wide priorities, we look forward to your fresh ideas and research
interests that you’ll be able to contribute and pursue.

If this is you, please apply here
<https://uwhires.admin.washington.edu/eng/candidates/default.cfm?szCategory=jobprofile&szOrderID=143082&szCandidateID=0&szSearchWords=&szReturnToSearch=1>.
And by all means, please share through your networks.

*Job description:*

Research leadership

·         Contribute to setting strategic research direction and priorities
in collaboration with Director and other principal and senior scientists
and faculty in TASCHA.

·         Lead and collaborate on research projects assigned by the
Director, including overseeing the work of other TASCHA and iSchool
employees and students.

·         Contribute regularly to the research outputs of the Center

·         Conduct both desk and field research, as appropriate to specific
research tasks

·         Prepare drafts and final reports of research projects for
publication; disseminate research publications locally and internationally
in a variety of formats

·         Maintain an active digital media presence, exhibiting thought
leadership on issues of concern to TASCHA

·         Produce policy and practitioner impact through engagement with
appropriate stakeholders

·         Collaborate on project planning and project administration and
assume responsibility for the administrative duties relating to the
research activities undertaken

·         Participate in an active communications and engagement strategy.

·         Identify venues to promote TASCHA to both the University
community and external stakeholders.

Research development

·         Assist the Director in liaising with potential donors and
collaborators for the Center

·         Develop grant proposals, as agreed upon with the Director, in
collaboration with other faculty and research staff and/or collaborators at
other institutions

Other

·         Attend iSchool and University meetings, retreats and planning
days as appropriate.

·         Participate in other iSchool community projects and activities as
appropriate

*Minimum Requirements*

·         PhD in Library and Information Science or related field

·         Demonstrated record of scholarship

·         Demonstrated experience with a range of qualitative, quantitative
and experimental research methods

·         Demonstrated experience or strong interest in conducting field
work in developing countries

·         Demonstrated familiarity with public libraries, international
development, and/or information and communication technologies

·         Demonstrated success in working with diverse populations

·         Strong research promise

Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum
qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as
license/certification/registration.

*Desired Qualifications*

·         Familiarity with public library related research and innovation

·         Familiarity with technologies used in ICTD interventions

·         Substantial research or living experience in a developing country

--

Nic Weber

Assistant Professor

University of Washington